Lodge Social Media
Covers various communities throughout Southeast Wisconsin
Waukesha County, part of Doge, Jefferson Washington, and Walworth counties.
Camp Long Lake – Kewaskum, WI
In late 1943 and early 1944 Charles W. Woodson, Potawatomi Area Council Executive, conferred frequently with William G. Hoffman, then Samoset Council Executive and Adviser to Area P of the Order of the Arrow, about starting a lodge in PAC. Application for a lodge charter was submitted and approved by the National Council on October 21st, 1944, with the number 280 being designated for the Potawatomi Area Lodge.
National Council expressed concern because of the similarity between the spelling of Potwatomie Lodge #63 of Bloomington, Illinois, and the Potawatomi Lodge #11 of Chicago Heights, Illinois.
Dr. Vince Batha suggested the name “Wag-O-Shag” which was derived from the word “Waugooshance.” Waugooshance, in the tongue of the Potawatomi Indians meant “little foxes.” At that time, early 1800’s many foxes inhabited the area and it was also the totem of the local indian tribe. Waugooshance was also a favorite name with the Indians for crooked rivers, whose winding resembled the eccentric tail of the cunning animals whose name they bore.